Friday, May 20, 2011

Veggie Ladened Lasagne

Like many parents I have been trying to find ways to get my two toddlers to eat more veggie and to add more pulses into our meals.
So I thought why not bulk our a bolognaise sauce with some veg and lentils.



So I made my usual bolognaise sauce but added some finely chopped celery, grated carrot, finely chopped capsicum and a can of drained and rinsed lentils.



(sorry for the nighttime pics, flouro lights aren't too good for taking them)



It was yummo!!!!!
I served it with homemade potato wedges and a side salad.

My 20 month old greeted his plate with 'Mum yummy Mum!' and The fussy nearly 3 years old eat his all up too.

So do you want the recipe?

1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed (we like lots of garlic)
2 sticks celery, finely diced
1 red capsicum, finely diced
2 carrots, grated
1 can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
500gm beef mince
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 jar Five Brothers Four Cheese pasta sauce (or your fave jarred pasta sauce).
Water
Bechemel sauce
Lasagna sheets

Cook the onion for a minute. Add the garlic, then the other vegetables one at a time.
Add the mince, brown off.
Add the tomato paste and flour, cook off for a couple of minutes.
Add the jarred sauce.
Half to three quarters fill the jar with water and add in too.
Stir through the lentils.
Bring to the boil and let simmer for about half hour.
Season to taste.

Layer as you normally would for a lasagna and sprinkle with grated light cheese and some good old fake parmesan cheese (you know the stinky long life stuff).
Bake for an hour at 180C

I only baked a small lasagna. Mainly so that we wouldn't gorge ourselves on leftovers. I managed to only use half this sauce mix this way, so the rest is in the freezer ready for next fortnight.

Next time I make this sauce I will add mushrooms and grated zucchini to it too. I might try using low fat ricotta instead of bechemel next time too.



TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. you could also try 3/4 cup of red lentils, they cook in the sauce with the meat etc in 20minutes and 'disappear' ;) I'm glad the little ones enjoyed their dinner...feels good, doesn't it?

    coffeee/Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue. Adding the dry lentils is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete