Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Baking Pleasures!

I woke yesterday morning with wonderful plans of baking running around in my head.


Picture courtesy of Cooking for the Gang


First up I had to make this Anzac Cake that I saw while blog hopping the other day. OMG!
I did tweak the recipe a little though. I am not that keen on coconut, and the recipe didn't have rolled oats in it. Can't be Anzac without rolled outs, so I replaced half the amount of coconut with quick cooking oats, instead.
I made the icing too, amazingly my icing hating fiance loved it. He loved the touch of honey in it. It was nice, but honestly the cake is so yummy you don't need icing.


My other venture for the day was a bit of an experiment. I had thoughts the other day about making a variation on cinnamon rolls. I really wanted to replace the cinnamon with milo. How yum would that be!

Then I thought hmmmm I wonder if I add milo into the dough mix and then put choc chips in the middle!
So that's exactly what I did!

The recipe is an adaptation from one I used form Play Time Snacks on Facebook.

Milo Scrolls
3 cups Self Raising Flour
1 cup milo
3 T butter/marg
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
3/4 pkts (180g or so) of choc chips

Combine flour, milo, butter, egg and milk to form a dough. Mix is often a tad wet, so just add some more flour until it's right.
Roll out into a rectangle shape onto a floured board.
Sprinkle with choc chips, and roll up from the long end into a sausage.
Cut into 12 piece.
Place in a greased lasagne dish, Bake at 180C for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned.

for those that are not in Australia Milo is a chocolate milk drink made from malted barley. Very good for you. You could add cocoa instead (but maybe only about 1/3 cup), and I would then add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the dough too as milo is already sweetened a little. Or think about using something like Nesquick. Oooo now that has me thinking of strawberry scrolls with white choc chips!

***I tried the Strawberry Nesquik and it was aweful***


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

18 comments:

  1. That Anzac cake is a real beauty. It didn't last long at our house!

    The milo scrolls also look and sound nice, thanks for sharing...Let us know if you try the Nesquick and white choc chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the Anzac Cake :-)
    Next time I make it, I will add oats as well, I hadn't actually thought of that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ANZAC cake was DIVINE!!! (Will definitely be on my regular rotation now.) DP is not a huge cake fan, but has been taking it every day in his lunch. I didn't actually add the oats to mine this time as I didn't have any on hand, but will def. try that next time. Oh, and try sprinkling the icing with a bit of ground cinnamon too - YUMMY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would the icing on the anzac cake freeze well? Looking at doing some baking with school heading back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried to freeze the icing. But generally I don't like to freeze cakes with icing. Purely because the icing tends to stick to the plastic wrap.
    The Anzac cake doesn't really need icing actually, it's very nice just on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to make the Milo scrolls and love the idea of the strawberry ones using Nesquick...I have some to use up in the cupboard too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't try the quick ones they were aweful! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iam so going to try those milo scrolls Becci , they sound great. The cake looks wonderful but i suck at cakes...might have to get Veronica to make it lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Becci! Will definitely have a go at doing the Milo Scrolls in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. if your in the uk ovaltine would be the same as milo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Ovaltine is pretty close, maybe add a little Horlicks for the extra malt??

      Delete
  11. Hi Becci,
    I'm new at packing lunches for kids. Came across this recipe and would love to try it.
    I don't know much about freezing baked stuff. So I have one very silly question... do I freeze it after I baked it? & then what?
    Normally with cooking, after freezing, I just microwaved them the next day or when needed. So after freezing this scroll, can I just microwave them or do I have to put them back in the oven? Sorry to sound so clueless, it's just that normally when I bake, there's nothing leftover for me to freeze. However, I'd like to start making bigger batches so I don't have to bake as often. Please help.
    Thanking you in advance for your assistance and tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can microwave them if you need to eat them immediately. Or you can leave them out to defrost on their own. If popping them into a lunch box, put them in frozen, they'll be defrosted by lunchtime (or earlier depending on the weather).
      They won't need recooking though :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much for your prompt reply. Great website & blog, by the way. Have a nice evening. Cheers.

      Delete
  12. For the scrolls is 3T of butter tablespoon or teaspoon?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has anyone tried these with something other than choc chips? Looking for a healthier alternative and no one likes sultanas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. try craisins (cranberries dried). Nice little pop of red - they're not as sweet as you would think. a little sour.

    ReplyDelete