Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chicken Pie Casserole

I just love a yummy chicken casserole. I'm also quite fond of chicken pies. Just love that creamy gravy in them mmmmm.
The filling in this casserole is just like a chicken pie, but has a yummy potato top, no pastry to tend with or cling to the hips.
This make one massive casserole too.

 First up I start with the carrots. I chopped up about 4 carrots.

 Popped them in a microwave container with a bit of water and zapped them for 3 minutes with he lid on, to start them cooking.
Just realised I didn't take a pic of the broccoli. I cut the broccoli into florets and half precooked them in the microwave too

Next I diced about 500g of chicken thighs. This was quite a bit of chicken and could have got away with about 300gms really. I have also used 2-3 cups of cooked chicken (either leftovers or taken from a takeaway chicken).

 Sliced up some mushies

 This is my cooking area. Everything laid out ready to go.


 In a nice sided stock pot I browned off the chicken and a couple of good teaspoons of crushed garlic form the jar. 
I didn't add any oil, just sprayed with some cooking spray.
Also add a couple of chopped onions here, I had run out, can you believe that, no onions! so I added in some dehydrated onion flakes later on instead.


 Next add in the mushies. Cook for a couple of minutes and then remove the meat and veg to a bowl.

 Now to make a roux. melt butter/marg in the stock pot.

 Add in the plain flour.

 Mix to a paste and cook stirring for a couple of minutes to cook off the flour.

 Add in the chicken stock a little at a time, making sure all the lumps have been worked out before adding the next amount of liquid. You can add a tablespoon or two of skim milk powder now if you like it really creamy, but it doesn't really need it.
If the stock isn't thick enough thicken with a little bit of cornflour and water paste

 Add all the meat and veggies in. Stir thought the sauce.

 Pour into a casserole dish

 Slice spuds fairly thinly. I always leave the skin on, extra roughage and vitamins, but feel free to peel if your family doesn't like the skin.

 Layer on top of the casserole

 Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika

 Bake for an hour at 180C or until nice a golden on top

Dish up!


Chicken Pie Casserole

4 carrots, peeled and diced
1-2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
300-500gms of chicken thighs (thighs are best, breast tends to dry out, but can substitute with 2-3 cups of cooked chicken)
2 large teaspoons of crushed garlic
10 mushies, sliced
1/4 cup butter or marg
1/3 cup plain flour
1 ltr chicken stock (I just use water and stock cubes)
approx 4 large spuds, enough to cover the top of your casserole nicely
Salt, pepper and paprika to taste

This can be such a versatile meal. you can add in whatever veggies your family prefers or that you have on hand. I have thrown in corn kernels and sweet potato before, so yummy!

Would love to hear from you if you try this recipe!


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Looks yum Becci, might have to try this one out soon. I love recipes that have easy ingredients that are in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becci..

    I tried this recipe tonight..
    But :( i didn't do it this way..

    I chopped up vegies, placed them in casserole dish, chopped chicken threw that in,, along with 1 tsp garlic.. Then i mixed up 1 litre of stock, poured that in and stired it through. Added 1/3 cup of plain flour, mixed it till combined.. Then peeled and sliced up Potato's layered them over the top, sprinkled some pepper, salt and the parpika ontop, put it in the oven for 2 hours.. (my casserole dish was not big enough so split it between two containers so now ive dish for the freezer so i can use it as a later on dinner..
    It was delcious..
    Hubby was most impressed..he also reckoned that it could be adapted to replace the chicken with some nice steak..

    Thanks for sharing with us a easy dish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this and popped it in the oven. I added some peas as they're Sarah's favourite. Its looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just printed it off; so I can make it next week!! Thanks Becci, you are such a blessing!
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete