Saturday, November 19, 2011

Family Faves: Train Smash Mornay

I know odd name isn't it. I have no idea where the name came from but this recipe was made by a close family friend for many years. We always had it when our families came together for saturday card nights.

This is a fairly simple recipe and almost everyone that has tried it has loved it.

 First of all collect your ingredients:

Onion, Carrot, Zucchini, medium grain rice, tomato soup, mince and curry powder {full recipe is below}
I'm making a triple batch here so we have lots of leftovers, it's a fave that we haven't had for a while.


 Chop the onion and grate the carrot and zucchini. Cook for a couple of minutes.

 Add the mince and brown off. Then add the curry powder to taste and the rice, then cook for a couple of minutes.


 Add tomato soup and a cans worth of water. Stir to combine.
I then cook this on the stove top stirring constantly, making sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, for about 10 minutes until it starts to thicken.


 I then pour it all into my slow cooker and put on low for about an hour or until the rice is nice and tender. 
Or alternatively you can continue to cook on the stove top for about half hour or so must you must keep stirring or the rice will stick.

 This is what it will look like when it's done. We like ours fairly thick, but feel free to add more water if you want it more like a risotto. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You can add some frozen peas and beans if you like.

We serve with buttered toast mmmm. 

This is a fab mornay to take to a shared tea / potluck dinner. Place in a casserole dish and crush chicken or plain chips on top!

Train Smash Mornay
500g beef mince
1 x 420g can tomato soup
1 onion
1 carrot
1 zucchini {optional}
1-2 tablespoons of curry powder to taste
1 cup uncooked medium grain rice

A couple of notes:
I tend to use the large cans of tomato soup and only use Heinz, other brands just don't do it for me.
You can add whatever veg you like. Originally the recipe had peas and beans in it but I'm not that keen on them so leave them out. I only use zucchini when it's in season too.
Add curry powder to taste. This isn't a curry so is not meant to be too strong. However feel free to add more is that's what you like.
Uncooked medium grain rice is best. You can use normal long grain rice bit the texture will be slightly different. You could no doubt use arborio or risotto rice too but I haven't tried that.
And of course this always tastes better the next day!

I hope you give this recipe a try, please let me know if you do.


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Becci, I am going to try this recipe out on my lot, it sounds like something they would like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks good Becci, I shall have to try it! I love the name. LOL!! Thanks Hunni!!
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. needing some good comfort food today and this is what I shall be having :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made this in oh so long, probably since this post. Really must make it again soon. The boys aren't keen on rice, wonder if they'll eat it now? They used to love it, back when they didn't look at their food

      Delete
    2. just found this recipe for Kylie from DTE and laughing at your comment about the boys not looking at their food!

      Delete