Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Soup


Mmm I love a nice big bowl of thick Pumpkin Soup when the weather cools down.
Right now pumpkins are so cheap too so it makes sense to make the most of them and whip up a batch of yummy soup.
I really like to use Kent/Jap pumpkun as I find it has the richest flavour and colour of all the pumpkins that I can get readily.
My recipe is pretty easy and makes heaps!!!

What you need:
2 onions, chopped
200g bacon, diced
1 whole Kent/Jap pumpkin
1Ltr chicken stock

In a big stock pot cook off the onion and bacon until the onion is partly cooked, try not to let it brown too much.
Peel, deseed and dice the whole pumpkin into cubes about 2inches square. Don't be fussy, it's only going to get pureed later.
Add stock. I use stock powder and water but if you have a nice homemade stock that would be lovely.
Allow to come to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook until the pumpkin mashes easily.
Take a stick blender and puree until nice and smooth. Season to taste.
I like my soup quite thick. If you like yours thinner then add some more chicken stock until you reach your desired consistency.

Serve with a dollop of light sour cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Hope you like!


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment