Thursday, June 14, 2012

Poke Cake ~ Recipe


So one day a while back I came across a very scrummy looking idea. Poke Cake. OMG It looked so yum. You can find the original post here, but there are other variations on the blog too.
Then I got to thinking....I could so go one better.

I started by making my Rich Butter Cake.


and poured it into my lined cake tin and baked it.



Turn the cake out to cool for a little while. Remove any baking paper. 


Carefully place the cake back into the tin and poke holes all over using the end of a wooden spoon.


Make up your choice of jelly using half the amount of water. I chose Raspberry Jelly. I used two packets for this cake.



Pour the jelly over the cake, making sure that the jelly gets in the holes.



Pop in the fridge for a couple of hours or until the jelly is nice and set.


Make up 1Ltr of custard (1Ltr milk, 3 heaped tablespoons of custard powder, 3 tablespoons of sugar and a good dash of vanilla)


Pour custard over the cake evenly while still fairly warm, sprinkle with coconut and chill in the fridge for a few hours. Even better if this is made the day before.

I use about a 25cm cake tin and this would serve heaps if you were catering or needed to take a dessert somewhere. Very economical too.

I also made a double choc version using the Frugal Choc Mud Cake and Homemade Yogo recipes both from the Stay At Home Mum site. OMG! It was so rich! So many different flavour combos you can try.
If you give this a go please let me know!


TFL!
Take Care
Becci
xoxo




9 comments:

  1. Becci, after seeing your post last week I have been waiting for the recipe to go up! That looks delicious! Will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I've made Jello Poke cake many times over the years but never thought to add custard! Magic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks divine..what a treat...i am going to try this out for the family on the weekend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...looks lovely. Can I just ask, does the cake go soggy because you add the jelly (obviously in liquid form)? I am sure the kiddies would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't. I don't like trifle because of that exact thing. I think because you poke the holes and because the jelly is made using half the water it doesn't happen. If you have a look at the top pic you'll see how it sets in like tunnels, some of it bleeds, but not very much.
      It does keep the cake very moist though :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome. I am so going to try this now. Forgot to mention. I am twoandthree at downtoearth forum.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear I made this on the weekend. It is popular with the family, but it makes a large amount and there are only four of us (two teenagers though). It is disgraceful how much we have gone through. Thanks.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete