Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Freezer organising

Yesterday I decided to sort out my upright freezer. There were two reasons why I wanted to do this. One I wanted to group like with like so I could make the most of what's in there during these lean times and now that the weather is warming up I want to make some ice for drink, so that needed it's own shelf.

I was so keen to get stuck into it that I totally forgot to take a before photo. Trust me it was totally disorganised. Stuff shoved where ever it would fit.

Top shelf: Ice cream and Brians homemade frozen dinners
Second shelf: Baking stuff - stewed apples, puréed oranges, sweet potato mash, broken cake for trifle
Third shelf: Will be the ice shelf
Fourth shelf: Various bits of meat
Fifth shelf: Misc - bacon pieces, garlic bread, party pies for the kids, ice packs
Bottom basket: frozen veg and meat for the dogs

I found quite a few bags of chicken bones and carcasses, so I'm in the process of making a couple of batches of chicken stock which I'll freeze for later.

Feels so much better to have this freezer organised. I can see exactly what I have in there now.


Do you have your freezer sorted into 'stations'?



Take Care
Becci
xoxo

7 comments:

  1. (sigh!) I seem to be the only one in our household (and there are only TWO of us now!)that is capable of any organisation.

    My pantry has clear, easy to read labels on the shelves stating "breakfast' 'oils & vinegars' 'stores' 'pasta & rice' 'cereals' & 'baking'.

    Why then do I find an open packet of biscuits on the oils & vinegar shelf, the Promite in the stores section and the olive oil in the breakfast section. (sighs again) ? Drives me insane! I would have no hope of having my freezer organised like that.

    And don't even get me started on my drawers and cupboards! My hubby has lived in and used our kitchen for the past 8 years, just like me and he still can't put the plastic colander away in the drawer where he got it out of... always puts it back in the cupboard! Oh, My Lord! Glass mugs in the glasses cupboard, big glasses where the little ones go, utensils in drawers instead of the utensil holder by the stove. It's a man thing!
    Sorry, rant over. Have a lovely day and I hope those lurgies have left your house and you are all well again.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO Joolz, reminds me of my house. It's painstakingly obvious where the tomato sauce bottle goes in the pantry but the teen decideds it's much better to be next tothe salt and pepper aka the first spot he sees when he opens the pantry door.

      Delete
  2. I did until the thaw incident! It is still ok but really needs a wipe out down the very bottom....So if I do it that will happen in.....April! After I have fully recovered from my c-section

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very good Becci, that is a big job and it will be so rewarding when you go to grab something out and forget you cleaned it and opening it will put a smile on your face. Ahhhh a nice clean freezer!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great we used to have an upright freezer it was the best appliance ever! I love that their easy to organise and you can see everything clearly! And its rewarding to open the doors to a clean freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becci! Great job on your freezer organizing! Thanks for sharing your blog on FB with me!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did that a while ago and was able to clear out so much... I baked and cooked like crazy to put those things to use that were getting a bit "on" in freezer age, LOL.

    ReplyDelete