Thursday, October 4, 2012

Impossible Pie

I have been making this recipe for years. It's a favourite with out family. So easy, cheap and you can sneak quite a few veg in there too.
The flour in this recipe settles to the bottom to create it's own base. No more fat ladened pastry needed!
Yummy to have hot with either salad or veg, cold with salad in the summer, excellent to take on picnics and my boys have loved having mini ones made for them to pop in their lunchboxes (it freezes really well).


Impossible Pie
4-6 eggs depending on their size
1/2-1C Self Raising Flour
1 onion, chopped
4 bacon rashers, chopped
1/2-1C grated cheese
21/2 - 3C milk
any other flavourings you wish to add.

Pop the bacon and onion in a microwave container and cook on HIGH for 3 mins covered. Alternatively fry them off in a pan until onion is soft.
Whisk up the eggs.
Add the flour and whisk to a paste.
Add the milk a little at a time to make a batter.
Add in the remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
Pour into a greased baking dish, I usually use a lasagna dish.
Bake at 180C for about 45 mins or until the custard is set and the top is nice and golden brown.

I like to cook my bacon and onion a bit as I've had the onion come out half raw before and I don't like that.
Last night I added two grated carrots, 1 grated zucchini and about 1/2C frozen corn kernels.
A fave of ours is to add in roasted cubes of pumpkin and shredded spinach/silverbeet.
I often top the quiche with slices of tomato and some cracked black pepper but with the prices of tomatoes at the moment I didn't buy any this week.

This is a fab recipe to make individual ones in muffin tins. Grease the holes really well. Make sure you add the full cup of flour as you'll need more base for these.
Pour an even mix of the custard into each hole. You may choose to sprinkle the fillings into the holes separately and the pout over the custard afterwards to make them more even.
Bake at 180C until nice and set and golden brown.
Allow to cool in the tins and then you can wrap and freeze for school lunches.
I wouldn't keep them in the freezer for more than a month though.




Take Care
Becci
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds yummy & easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, almost exact recipe my Nanna used to make, might be time to have it again i think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becci, I've just popped in from DTE and am now following your blog. It is wonderful and I am really looking forward to looking around a bit more. :)

    ReplyDelete