Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tucker Tuesday: Recipe ~ Lemon Meringue Cheesecake


 photo LemonMeringueCheesecake_zps8cc9c11e.jpg


I have been doing a bit of a cull and organising of my recipes lately and came across this recipe scrawled on a piece of paper. Sounded good and with Australia Day coming up I thought it was the perfect time to give it a go.
I have no idea where the recipe came from. It was my writing so that gives me no clue. If you know the origins of this recipe then please let me know so I can give credit.


 photo DSCF5896_zps7f5d1818.jpg


It was a fairly easy recipe. I had made baked cheesecakes before but had never attempted a meringue top. I made one mistake. I was out of caster sugar so used normal white sugar, which of course didn't dissolve into the egg whites properly and has cause the cheesecake to weep a little. Still tastes fine but next time I'll make sure to use caster sugar. By the way I used white sugar in the filling and that was ok.


 photo DSCF5897_zps71e01ddd.jpg


Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
1 pkt Nice biscuits
140g butter, melted
500g cream cheese, at room temperature
300g sour cream
3/4C caster sugar
1T finely grated lemon rind
2T lemon juice (was less than half a lemon)
3 eggs

Meringue
3 egg whites
3/4C caster sugar

Line the base of a 22cm round spring form pan. I like to rip off a big square, place it over the base then attach the outer leaving the baking paper sticking out from the bottom. This makes removing the cheesecake from the base easy later on.
Crush biscuits in a food processor, add butter and mix well.
Press into the base and sides of prepared tin, the refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
Preheat oven to 160C.
Place the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, lemon rind and juice in a food processor and process until smooth (mine didn't go too smooth at this stage, I risked it and added the eggs, then it all came together phew!).
Add the eggs and process until well combined.
Pour into the prepared base and bake for 1 hour.
Leave the cheesecake in the oven to cool with the door cracked open for 2 hours or until cooled completely. This will help prevent it from cracking. I used a potholder to hold it open and left it over night.
Place in fridge and chill for 4 hours.
To make the meringue whip the egg whites until firm peaks form. Slowly add in the sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat until thick and glossy.
Spoon over the cheesecake making nice peaks.
Bake in a 200C oven for 508 mins or until lightly browned.
Chill fro 2-3 hours.

I wanted this for Monday lunch. So saturday night I made the base and cooked the filling. Then sunday night I did the meringue and chilled it over night. Worked a treat!

This cheesecake was so delicious. The filling isn't too sweet either for those that don't have a sweet tooth, you could easily leave off the meringue and have it just as.


Enjoy!
Becci
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. yum! Wish I had of being coming for lunch becci! ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks AMAZING! Recipe bookmarked for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely have to try this. My eyes popped out of my head when I saw it. How Yummy!
    Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. Next time try blitzing the sugar in a processor to make it finer, could even try the same weight of pure icing sugar

    ReplyDelete